|Photo Credit Nathan Fry|
We're Home! (Update by Susan)
It's so exciting to be able to update you from Pohnpei finally! We had a long but fairly uneventful trip back and we're happy to say that everyone is adjusting well. Many of you have already read our updates on Facebook but going to repost here for those of you that missed it. I could literally write a book on the last couple of weeks, but I'll spare you all the details (that you most likely wouldn't find as interesting anyway) and summarize our coming home:
- Two full days of flying. With 5 kids. Not much else to say there. You can imagine how "fun" that was.
- Jet lag. Need I say more? It's starting to fade now but still lingering a bit.
- Heat and humidity. Wow! It's easy to forget about that aspect of island life after being away for awhile.
- Lack of supplies. Shopping is quite the adventure here. Yeah, I kinda miss Walmart.
- Missing Starbucks as well.
- Mildew. Our house is full of it after not being air conditioned for 10 months. Going to take awhile to get things back to normal but we're getting there. It's a long process of taking everything out of drawers, cupboards, and closets, washing them down, washing everything inside, and putting things away.
- Crazy pool schedule. Our oldest son will be competing in the Micronesian Games next month. Kaleo jumped right into the heavy swim schedule the day after we arrived as well as rushing to get all the paperwork/physical/blood work done to enable him to compete. He started back to working at the pool too so more hours there. He's pretty tired and sleeping whenever he's not at the pool.
- A car wreck. Yeah, after driving in city traffic for 10 months without incident, I was in a car accident a week after getting back on this tiny little island with no traffic lights and only a 2 lane road. A car hit me from behind when his breaks failed; thankfully no one was hurt. Unfortunately, we are required to go to court over it.
- Catching up with ministry. We are jumping head first into summer ministries such as Vacation Bible School and youth camp. We can always use your prayer! (And please take a look at the Special Ministry Needs section of our blog as we have some specific ways you can help out! We are still adding some VBS and camp needs but for now, the ink toner is a BIG need with all the printing for summer ministries that we have ahead of us!)
- Enjoying catching up with friends and family. A given, of course. We've missed everyone SO much!
- A new puppy. Yeah, our kids were given a new puppy as a welcome home gift. So in the midst of unpacking and cleaning, I am also cleaning up puppy messes! Yay! (yes, that is sarcasm).
- Beach day. Everyone needs some time out for fun. So we took off from the crazy the other day and spent the day at the beach with the Boylston family.
- Enjoying the beauty of the place we love more than anywhere. Maybe I am a little biased but this island is without a doubt to me the most beautiful and amazing place in the entire world. I wouldn't choose any place else to live!