Kasalehlia! We are the Kihleng family and we are missionaries to the island of Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia. This blog is to keep friends and family (and whoever else is interested!) updated on what we are doing in the islands. So check back here often to see updates on our ministry as well as our ever growing family!

Friday, February 3, 2012

Finally, an Update!!!

I apologize for being 'gone' for so long!   The past few months have been so busy!  We had great holidays though they were some of the busiest we've ever had here!  In mid January, Dr. Ron Comfort and his wife were here for meetings.  It was a great week and we were so blessed to have them here.  We saw over 600 in attendance some nights of the meetings and over 50 accepted Christ as their Savior that week!  We were sad to see the Comforts go but praising the Lord for such an exciting week.  
We've had some 'adventures' lately in that the island has had to go back to doing scheduled power outages each day.  Our scheduled time is no power from 8AM till 12 every day.  It has made it rather difficult to keep up with our homeschooling!  And they are now also shutting off water!  Fun!  We had no water for three days this week but are now getting enough of a trickle to catch up some on laundry and dishes!  
Many of you have probably already heard about Kestra's mishap.  She is very allergic to mango trees - if the leaves or bark touch her skin she has a bad reaction.  She must have gotten too close to a leaf this week as she came in from playing with a rash starting to break out on her leg in the shape of a leaf.  I gave her Benedryl and cleaned it, but within about 4 hours it started to swell and began to look infected.  By night, she was running a high fever and in a lot of pain.  We took her to the ER and they put her on an antibiotic as it was already badly infected!  I am amazed at how fast the infection set in!  The antibiotic wasn't strong enough though and within another day her leg was hot, swollen, and very painful and she was continuing with the fever.  We took her back and they wanted to admit her right away as cellulitis had set in but there were currently no available beds at the hospital.  So they put in the IV and we just took her back for each dose.  Three days later, she is now doing much better and they took the IV out this morning.  Thank you to those of you who knew of the situation and prayed for her!
Bible Institute is back in full swing.  We have a smaller group this semester - only about 35, but we are excited to be working with these!  
I hope you all are having a great week!  I will try to do better with updates!  

No comments: